Bear in mind that it doesn’t take more than 24 hours for the plaque accumulation to turn into calculus. This is why it cannot be emphasized enough how important the daily oral hygiene routine is necessary to maintain the formation of plaque. For the places in your mouth you can’t reach, the regular dental exams and cleaning are necessary to control the calculus formation and gum irritations.
It is recommended to have teeth cleanings at least 4 times a year in order to control accumulations and prevent the initial stages of periodontal disease. The regular dental exams will control the depths of your pockets, give the necessary treatment to prevent the periodontal disease to progress, give you the guidance to take care of your teeth and control the condition.
Plaque and calculus that forms subgingivaly can only be removed with special dental instruments which is why it is necessary to have regular dental exams. In addition to cleaning and evaluation of your current oral health, the following will also be performed:
- Examination of X rays – necessary for detection of cysts, tumors, bone loss, tooth decay and to determine the position of the root and the crown in the jaw.
- Examination of tooth decay – checking all the tooth surfaces for decay
- Examination of present tooth restorations – checking the current fillings, crowns and other dental work
- Oral cancer screening – checking the face, tongue, neck and other soft tissues for neoplastic growth
- Teeth polishing – removal of stains and plaque. This will also make the tooth surface smoother and it will be difficult for the plaque to attach to it for some time.
- Oral hygiene recommendations – you will be given set of instructions for your particular case. This includes the use of specific periodontal toothbrushes, mouth wash substances, toothpastes etc.